Church of San Pietro

Contact Details

Church of San Pietro
Hill Peak
Assisi
Italy

Church of San Pietro is one church that is dedicated to Saint Benedict. It was built on Monte Calvario in the 10th century. Previously, from the 6th century onwards there was a church at the outskirts of Perugia that served as the city’s cathedral. The status of cathedral was first accorded to Santo Stefano in Castellare, and after its unfortunate demolition in the year 936, to San Lorenzo, that is the present cathedral.

Church of San Pietro is located at the heart of old Perugia town and is very much accessible. It can even be reached on foot if one chose to board in the old town area of Perugia.

The church has a triple-arched portal at the entrance of the main court. There is a polygonal clock tower in the main court. Many believe that the clock tower is built on the site of the Etruscan tomb. The design of the church is typical Gothic style with a trademark roof that is carved out of wood. The church has greatly telling exteriors and much impressive interiors. The walls are adored with frescoes as well as paintings. The main altar holds the body of Saint Pietro that is made of marble and studded with precious stones.

In the year 1483, the upper section of the Church had collapsed; but it was rebuilt as per the plan drawn by the famed architect Bernardo Rossellino. More recently, the original round arches, piers and arcades have also been restored to their original glory. Visit the place and your heart is contented.  

E-newsletter Signup

Sign up to our E-newsletter for latest events & offers:

Back to top